Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Disney Legend

I woke up this morning to the buzzing sound of the living room television wafting through the air. As I slinked out of bed, my cold feet hitting the itchy, stained, carpet floor, Hannah Montana continued to belt out unreachable notes at the top of her lungs. What a way to start the day.

Pardon my negativity, but I do feel rather strongly when it comes to subjects concerning pop culture. Not even accounting for the fact that she cannot carry a tune in a bucket, you could certainly say that Miley Cyrus is not my favorite person (and that's putting it nicely). I almost feel sorry for girls in situations similar to her own- being forced to grow up too fast by a society that practically breeds immoral values. It must be almost immpossible to resist succumbing to the ways of this seemingly flawless world. It preys on the naive, innocent souls of the young women who oggle over it's sugar-coated lies. And that is why I take pity on these girls. They think they've got life all figured out- while the rest of us stand on the sidelines, shaking our bowed heads in silence.

As I crunched my frosted flakes, watching Hannah Montana dance her flirty self through a seemingly perfect life, one word entered my mind: HYPOCRITE. These "role models" parades along, acting as if they are wholesome, virtuous "just like you" kids, while I stare at their scantily dressed bodies plastered across hundreds of tabloids
sold in grocery stores across the nation.

This led me to a profound question: What would Walt Disney think if he were still around to witness all that his company has become? Would he be proud of the Disney empire that he built from the ground with his very hands? Would he applaud his successors for their efforts in promoting the principals and values he founded his enterprise on so many years ago? Hmmmm....

I do not mean to particularly pick on Miley Cyrus. She has shaped the music industry in a way never done before, and has gained much popularity in doing so. And for that, I must give her credit. In fact, this principal can be applied to almost an situation. It raises an uncomfortable topic of discussion: Would your successors be proud of all you have become? These thoughts are probably better left for you to ponder as you slurp the last drops of milk out of the bottom of your cereal bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment