Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Matt's House

Matt lives on Watkins Street in a little duplex behind the SigEp house. But Matt is not a frat brother. Because Matt is my brother. And I don't like to share. 

Sometimes people forget that houses are for living in. Matt is not one of those people. Matt's house is very much alive. 

Most walls are built to keep people out. But the walls of Matt's house were built to bring people together. 

You see, Matt is my best friend. His house is a sanctuary. It sits near the corner of Watkins Street, beckoning anyone with a story to tell, and a sense of humor to tell it with to come on in and stay a while. This is why Matt's house is my favorite. Around every corner lies a different story. Whether its the empty pizza boxes propped up against the sink, or the man-a-kin with a jack-o-lantern head screwed on crooked sitting on the end table- There is always, always, always a story. And I happen to be a big fan of stories. Which I think is what makes us such great friends in the first place. 

Not so many times have I been to Matt's house yet. But the times I have have meant the most. Matt's house is one of those places that  seem as if nothing can go wrong while you are there. You are nothing short of invincible- no matter the odds stacked against you. And this is why Matt's house is my favorite. I'm safer there than anywhere else in the world. 

Sometimes I get homesick for Matt's house, even as I'm lying in my own bed in my own room. There's something just too formal about majestic windows with swooping drapery-  not messy enough to support the life of any real human being. These are the kinds of rooms that people who do not feel go around "living" in. And I am not one of those types of people. I am a person who feels. 

So this is why Matt's house is my favorite- It was absolutely made for people who feel. 

Matt's house is far more than a duplex behind the SigEp house on Watkins Street. Matt's house is a home. And Matt's house is the home of my best friend. Which makes it the home of so much more. 

                                                12/29/2010

1 comment:

  1. and this is why you are Matt's house' favorite vistor :). this post is beyond flattering, and I'm just so happy that you've given this life to my house. I always try to have open doors to anyone :) which is why we keep the bouch for those that need somewhere to sleep. I think now more than ever the sense of community needs to be encouraged. Watching out for eachother, it's what we all really want we just need someone to make it happen.
    And from now on when someone calls my house dirty, I'm going to call it "lived in" :) thanks Mary Margaret haha

    ReplyDelete